Thursday, January 1, 2009

End Of An Era

I was in the midst of writing plans for my life for 2009 when the phone rang. It was my good friend, Marianne. One of the Magnificent 7. She needed my help to pack for their impending move. I walked into a sea of upheaval which always happens when one moves. As I was packing up the China Closet I packed so many memories of days gone by. This was the party house of the days of babies, children, car pools, pot lucks. birthdays and best of all the annual St. Patricks Day party. The adult children were all on hand orchestrating all the activities. Marianne is on oxygen and her stamina is limited and Chuck has diabetes and has had some mild strokes making his memory a little clouded. He was looking out the window as their beds were being loaded onto the truck. He says " Oh, I guess we won`t be sleeping here anymore." My dear friend Chuck, one of the funniest people I have ever known. He always kept everyone laughing. Chuck of the Air Force Flying Core during the Koean War. Chuck of the Control Tower at Stapelton airport, Chuck the volunteer Holy trinity school bus driver.
It is time to move into a smaller place with less upkeep etc, etc, etc. I was desperately holding back the tears. Its ironic, while making plans for your life, life happens.

No comments: